Blackberries are native to both North America and Europe, but the cultivation of this fruit is largely limited to North America. Blackberries have a similar appearance to raspberries, but they are larger, hardier, and have a dark purple to black color. In general for this berry, the more intense color—the sweeter the fruit. Blackberry peak season is June and July with harvesting beginning in May and ending in September. Blackberries and raspberries are also called caneberries or brambles.
Blackberries rank highly among fruits for antioxidant strength, particularly due to their dense contents of polyphenolic compounds. Blackberries contain numerous large seeds that are not always preferred by consumers. The seeds contain some oil which is rich in omega-3 (alpha-linolenic acid) and -6 fats (linoleic acid), as well as some protein, dietary fiber, carotenoids, ellagitannins and ellagic acid.
Blackberries are high in iron, but can cause constipation. They have been used for years to control diarrhea. If blackberry juice is mixed with cherry or prune juice, the constipating effect will be taken away. If one can take blackberry juice without constipating results, it is one of the finest builders of the blood.
Blackberries should be dry, firm, well shaped, and eaten within a week after purchase. If you can’t eat them that soon, remember that berries freeze well. Immediately eat the overripe ones within 24 hours.
Source: www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov, www.wikipedia.org, www.health-care-clinic.org
Image by Fir002 availlable under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.
Shortcut To Great Info On This Page
1 pint blackberries or 1 pint raspberries or 1 pint blueberries or 1 pint strawberry
2 teaspoons brandy
4 teaspoons Cointreau liqueur
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 fluid ounces marie brizard blackberry liqueur
3/4 fluid ounce fresh lemon juice
3/4 fluid ounce simple syrup (see Sharlene~W\\\’s Recipe #26987)
1 fluid ounce water
Prep Time: 2 mins
Total Time: 3 hours 2 mins
1. Marinate berries in brandy through sugar 3 hours.
2. Combine blackberry liqueur through water in a cocktail shaker and shake with ice.
3. Strain into a highball glass ¾ filled with crushed ice.
4. Garnish with 1 heaping Tbs marinated mixed berries and serve with a straw.
5Use leftover berries to make more drinks or serve over ice cream, pudding, pound cake, etc.
Raspberry Blackberry Crepe Filling
1/2 cup frozen unsweetened raspberries
1/2 cup frozen unsweetened blackberries
2 tablespoons sugar, to taste
1 teaspoon flour
Prep Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 12 mins
1. Blend together the berries in a handy chopper or blender just until you see individual circles of red and black.
2. Over medium heat in a small saucepan, heat the chopped berries a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the sugar, more or less to taste, stirring constantly.
3. Add the flour, stirring constantly. Let boil about 3 minutes, until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and spread onto crepes, toast, or anything else you want.
4. *NOTE: If you cool the filling before you use it, stir it back up before using.
Blackberry BBQ Sauce
1/2 cup blackberry preserves
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 10 mins
In a medium bowl, mix together blackberry preserves, ketchup, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, mustard powder, and red wine vinegar. Use to baste pork or beef ribs while grilling.
Blackberry Champagne Cocktail
1 tablespoon Chambord raspberry liquor
1/2 teaspoon blackberrysorbet or 1/2 teaspoon passion fruit sorbet
Prep Time: 3 mins
Total Time: 3 mins
1. Pour the Chambord into a Champagne flute and top with Champagne. Add the sorbet and serve at once.
Blackberry Tequila Sunrise
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 ounces tequila
1/2 ounce Chambord raspberry liquor
1 lime wedge
club soda (optional)
Prep Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 5 mins
1. Fill tall glass 3/4 full with ice.
2. Add orange juice and tequila and stir to blend.
3. Add the Chambord, letting in sink to the bottom.
4. Top with club soda if desired.
5. Squeeze lime wedge into glass and drop wedge into glass.
Pork Medallions With Blackberry Sauce
2 (1 lb) pork tenderloins
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine, divided
1/2 cup diced shallot
2/3 cup dry white wine
3 tablespoons seedless blackberry fruit spread
fresh thyme sprig
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 60 mins
1. Sprinkle pork evenly with salt, pepper, and allspice.
2. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
3. Grill pork, covered, over medium-high heat for 20 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 160°, turning pork once.
4. Remove from grill and let stand for 10 minutes.
5. In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat.
6. Add in shallots; stir/saute for 5 minutes or until tender.
7. Add in wine; cook 13 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
8. Lower heat to low; whisk in fruit spread and remaining butter; cook 2 minuutes or until slightly thickened.
9. Cut pork into 1/4-inch slices.
10. Drizzle blackberry sauce over pork; garnish with fresh blackberries and thyme sprigs, if desired
Purple Power Blackberry Peach Smoothie
3/4 cup ice cube
2 medium peaches, peeled, quartered
1/3 cup frozen blackberrie
1/2 cup skim milk or 1/2 cup soymilk
Prep Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 8 mins
1. Place ingredients in blender container in order listed.
2. Blend on high until smooth and ice is crushed, 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Taste and adjust sweetness if desired.
Find Out More About Fruits:
👉 Fruit Information
- Fruits Encyclopedia, Fruits Information, Fruit Index
- Encyclopaedia Of Blackberry Fruit 2021: Everything You Need To Know About Their Origin, Use And Cultivation
- How Bananas Contributed To The World Economy: Everything You Need To Know About This Exotic Tropical Fruit 2021
👉 Fruit Recipes
- 7 Recipes Of Mango: Tangy Sweet Flavour To Take Your Dishes To The Next Level With Guide On Choosing The Best Mango 2021
- 7 Recipes Of Black Currants
- 4 Recipes Of Crenshaw Melon: Salads For Enjoying The Summer Heat When It Is Scorching Hot 2021
👉 Planting And Fruit Guides