The English name refers to the berries, which are astringent and bitter-sweet, seldom used in Western Europe (but commonly eaten in Russia and elsewhere), readily eaten by birds, which do not taste astringency as unpleasant. Some herbs also have astringent effects. It was used medicinally during the Middle Ages, and the bark, placed at the door, was supposed to ward off plague.
Another name is the Hagberry, and the fruit can be known as hags. It is also sold as an ornamental in North America as a May Day tree.
There are two varieties:
- European Bird Cherry Prunus padus var. padus. Europe and western Asia.
- Asian Bird Cherry Prunus padus var. commutata. Eastern Asia.
Bird Cherry, MayDay Tree, or mayday tree, Prunus Padus
The Bird Cherry (Prunus padus) is a species of cherry, native to northern Europe and northern Asia, growing even north of the Arctic Circle in Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Russia. It is the type species of the subgenus Padus with flowers in racemes, which are hermaphroditic and pollinated by bees and flies; it is a deciduous small tree or large shrub 8-16 m tall.
Bird cherry (Prunus padus)
An attrative tree of northern parts, so named because the birds love the bitter fruits so much
Latin name Prunus padus
Family name Rose
Latin family name Rosaceae
What type of tree is it? Deciduous Broadleaf
Average height 7-10m
Preferred soil type or Prefers limestone but will grow on poor soils.
Needs full sun to flower environmental conditions? Tree lore and folklore
In some parts of Yorkshire it is called ‘wild lilac’ because of the spikes of white flowers in spring.
Find Out More About Fruits:
👉 Fruit Information
- Information About Alpine Currant, Ribes Alpinum,
- Information About Amanatsu
- Ways To Use Almonds In Culinary Cuisines: Nutritional Information And Distribution
👉 Fruit Recipes
- 7 Recipes Of Mulberries: Sweet Refreshing Treat Served Both Hot And Cold 2021
- Goldenberry Glazed Acorn Squash with Pecans Recipe: Big Sweet Finishing To Family Dinners In Holidays 2021
- 7 Recipes Of Grapefruit: From Savoury Dishes To Salad And Drinks All For You And Your Family To Enjoy!
👉 Planting And Fruit Guides