History of food and drink
Food is any substance or material eaten or drunk to provide nutritional support for the body or for pleasure. It is usually of plant or animal origin and contains essential nutrients, such as carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, or minerals. It is ingested and assimilated by an organism to produce energy, stimulate growth, and maintain life.
Historically, people obtained food from hunting and gathering, farming, ranching, and fishing, known as agriculture. Today, most of the food energy consumed by the world population is supplied by the food industry operated by multinational corporations using intensive farming and industrial agriculture methods.
Food safety and food security are monitored by agencies such as the International Association for Food Protection, World Resources Institute, World Food Programme, Food, and Agriculture Organization, and International Food Information Council. They address issues such as sustainability, biological diversity, climate change, nutritional economics, population growth, water supply, and access to food.
The right to food is a human right derived from the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR), recognizing the “right to an adequate standard of living, including adequate food”, as well as the “fundamental right to be free from hunger”.
- List of Brazilian Cachaca-varieties
- List of drinking vessels
- List of fruits
- Italian cheeses
- List of EU marketing name for the cocoa and chocolate
- List of GB-sundaes
- List of regional cuisine
- List of Swedish drinks
- National dish
- List of pear varieties
- List of fermented herring salting
- List of edible mushrooms
- List of dishes in South America
- List of teas and tea blends
- List of wine regions
- List of apple varieties
Find Out More About Fruits:
👉 Fruit Information
- Encyclopedia Of Stone Fruit Family: Drupe 2021
- History Of The Boysenberry Fruit: Family Of The Raspberry 2021
- All You Need To Know Of The Breadfruit: The Most Energetic Tropical Fleshy Fruit
👉 Fruit Recipes
- 7 Recipes Of Black Currants: Taste Of The Wild With Couscous Salad And Stuffed Goose 2021
- 7 Recipes Of Capers: Sour And Savoury Addition To Mediterranean Cuisine 2021
- 6 Recipes Of Persimmon: Dishes From the Food Of Gods – Savoury And Sweet
👉 Planting And Fruit Guides