Known in Asia as the “Queen of fruits”, Mangosteen is a tropical evergreen tree believed to have originated in the Sunda Islands and the Moluccas of Indonesia. The fruit of the mangosteen is sweet and tangy, juicy, and somewhat fibrous, with an inedible, deep reddish purple-colored rind when ripe.
Mangosteen has been used in the maintenance of good health since 600 A.D. The whole fruit—especially the rind—is rich in xanthones, which may promote healthy bodily function, including support for a healthy cardiovascular system. Research shows xanthones may possess potent antioxidant properties and may lower C-reactive protein, a marker of heart health.
Various parts of the plant have a history of use in folk medicine, mostly in Southeast Asia. It is reputed to have possible anti-inflammatory properties, and may have been used to treat skin infections or wounds, dysentery or urinary tract infections.
Due to import restrictions, fresh mangosteen fruit is not readily available in the United States other than in some Asian grocery stores. However, it is usually available in cans and frozen form in some grocery stores. Mangosteen is also used to produce a variety of juices and nutritional supplements.
Image by Phuc Hai available under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license
2/3 cup mangosteen , chopped
2/3 cup dry champagne
1 egg white
6 slices limes
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 2 hrs
Total Time: 2 hrs 30 mins
1. Peel the fruit, chop or dice the flesh and then push through a fine sieve.
2. Stir the champagne into the puree.
3. Whip up the egg white until thick and then add the agave syrup and re-beat.
4. Fold the eggwhite mixture into the fruit puree.
1 (10 fluid ounce) can frozen margarita mix
3/4 cup mangosteen juice
1/2 cup rum
4 cups frozen mixed fruit
1 ripe mango – peeled and sliced, for garnish
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 15 mins
Pour the margarita mix, mangosteen juice, and rum into a blender or bowl of a food processor. Blend until smooth. Gradually add the frozen fruit, and continue blending. Pour the mixture into four tall glasses and garnish with mango slices.
Find Out More About Fruits:
👉 Fruit Information
- What Is A Culinary Fruit?: List Of Popular Tropical Fruits 2022
- Alpine Currant Facts: Description of Ribes Alpinum
- How Are American Cranberries Grown?: Origin, Distribution, & Use 2022
👉 Fruit Recipes
- 5 Meyer Lemon Recipes: Full of Native Chinese Citrus Flavor 2022
- 7 Capers Recipes: Savory Wholesome Mediterranean Cuisine 2022
- 5 Elderberry Recipes: Help You Lower Blood Sugar Levels 2022
👉 Planting And Fruit Guides