You grow some tomatoes, they are fresh and pretty. How to best enjoy them with family and friends?
There are so many tomato recipes to choose from out there. I have included a couple I have tried and tested, if you have any to add I would love to hear from you
Shortcut To Great Info On This Page
This is made from ripe tomatoes which have been puréed and sieved to remove the skin and seeds it makes a wonderfully concentrated flavor. It can be made and frozen for use in soups, sauces, pasta dishes, or casseroles. You can make it chunky or smooth depending on your requirements.
Tomato sauce for pizza or pasta
- 1 Tablespoon -Olive oil
- Some Cloves of garlic (1-3) depends on your taste
- A good hand full -Basil / or a mixture of oregano, marjoram and basil
- 2 Onions
- 2 lbs (1.5kg) Plum tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil on low heat in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan
- Add chopped onions, stir to make sure that onions are coated then leave to simmer slowly until translucent.
- Add in garlic and turn through the onions. Leave for 2 minutes or so.
- Add the chopped fresh tomatoes. Stir through to coat with oil and leave for five minutes over low heat.
- When the mixture is simmering add the chopped herbs
- Leave the sauce to simmer over low heat until the tomatoes fall apart.
- Simmer very gently for about an hour until the sauce has reduced and thickened stir to prevent it from sticking add water if it thickens too much.
- After an hour, taste, add salt and pepper before removing from the heat.
- It needs to cook for an hour to intensify the flavors at this point you can add whatever variations you fancy adding it to mince for a bolognese sauce or thickening it so it can be used on pizza bases.
- This also freezes well, so if you make a large batch you can put in family-sized portions or individual and have the night off cooking – always a bonus.
- Olive oil – if you are trying to reduce your oil intake you can substitute this with the juice of a lime
- Cherry tomatoes –these look great – but if you only have larger toms just cut them up and deseed
- Garlic cloves, finely chopped – (depending on how much you like garlic depends on the amount you add!)
- Onion, finely chopped
- Chopped fresh parsley/oregano
- Chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Spice it up with fresh chili – if you fancy
I have left the amounts out as it depends if you are having this with a meal or as a dip
Place the oil/ lime, chopped tomatoes, garlic, onion, parsley and basil into a bowl. Mix together and season to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Leave it to marinate for at least half an hour before serving with meal .
A wonderful snack at any time, quick and easy to prepare.
- Ciabatta or French baton
- Virgin olive oil
- A garlic clove
- Ripe tomatoes
- Fresh Basil/oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Make a cross-cut with a sharp knife at the top of the tomatoes. Then place them in a bowl of boiling water and leave them for just a minute before removing them and removing the skins and seeds. Chop them roughly and leave them to cool to one side, at this point you can add different flavorings like basil /oregano to the mixture.
- Toast your sliced bread under the grill or on a griddle if you fancy a stripy effect, brush your toasted bread with virgin olive oil and rub your cut garlic over the surface of the toast. Place your tomato mixture on the toast and season.
- Try a stir-fry – just a couple of minutes in the pan with olive oil, garlic, salami, and basil poured over your favorite pasta.
Find Out More About Fruits:
👉 Fruit Information
- Information About Physalis Fruit
- Acai Berry Smoothie
- Fruits Encyclopedia, Fruits Information, Fruit Index
👉 Fruit Recipes
- 7 Recipes Of Avocados
- 4 Recipes Of Coconut Water: Drinking And Dessert For Sweet Tooth 2021
- 4 Recipes Of Yuzu
👉 Planting And Fruit Guides