Native to Asia minor, the round, wrinkly yellow Casaba melons were exported from the city of Kasaba, Turkey in the late 19th century. Hence the name Casaba. It is mildly sweet with a cucumber-like flavor and pale green flesh. Casaba melons are a great snack and a wonderful additon to salads, stews and curries.
Melons are very high in silicon, especially if eaten right down to the rind. When we discard watermelon rind, we are missing one of its greatest elements. To obtain the gland and blood-building chlorophyll, run the rind through a liquifier or juicer.
During the melon season, we should fortify the body against the winter months with a “melon reserve” of vitamins A, B and C from melons. Melons also give us an excellent supply of distilled water that contains the finest mineral elements possible. Consider the melon for rejuvenation and alkalinizing the body. Melons also are excellent for aiding elimination.
Its not easy to tell when casaba melons are ripe since they do not give off a strong aroma. Choose casaba melons that are heavy for their size and free of bruises. Avoid a melon that is too firm, too soft, has dark blemishes on the skin or is extremely green-colored. Casaba melons should be stored at room temperature until fully ripe when the skin has turned bright yellow. You can refrigerate cut casaba for up to two or three days.
Source: health-care-clinic.org, www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org, www.produceoasis.com
Mexican Style Fruit Salad
3 cups bite-sized chunks watermelon
1 ½ cups bite-sized chunks cantaloupe
1 ½ cups bite-sized chunks crenshaw melon
1 ½ cups bite-sized chunks casaba melon
¼ cup fresh lime juice
½ cup fresh mint , torn
2 teaspoons agave syrup
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 0 mins
Total Time: 15 mins
1. Toss together all ingredients and chill for 1 hour.
2. Stir gently and serve.
Lemonade Marinade Grill
6 ounces frozen lemonade or 6 ounces frozen limeade concentrate , thawed
½ cup chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
1/8; teaspoon pepper
4 pork loin chops , 1-inch thick
¼ honeydews or ¼ casaba melon , peeled, cut into 4 wedges
¼ cantaloupe , peeled, cut into 4 wedges
Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 45
1. For this recipe you will need two basting brushes. Be careful not to use the brush for the meat on the melons.
2. In small bowl combine concentrate, basil, salt, and pepper. Drizzle in oil while whisking. Reserve 1/4 cup and set aside for brushing melons. Pour remaining marinade into zip lock heavy duty plastic bag. Add pork chops, seal, refrigerate, and marinate for 1-2 hours.
3. Prepare and pre-heat grill.
4. Drain pork and discard marinade from bag, reserving 1/4 cup marinade for brushing meat. Place pork chops on grill, cover and grill pork 4-5″ from medium heat for 12-16 minutes, turning once and brushing 2-3 times with reserved 1/4 cup of meat marinade. Add melon wedges to grill over high heat for last 3 minutes of cooking, turning and brushing 2-3 times with reserved melon marinade until hot. Melons should soften significantly when done.
Cool and Spicy Melon Soup
4 cups casaba melon, seeded and cubed
3/4 cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 pinch salt
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 15 mins
Place casaba melon, coconut milk, lime juice, ginger, and salt in a food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
Find Out More About Fruits:
👉 Fruit Information
- History Of The Boysenberry Fruit: Family Of The Raspberry 2021
- Characteristics of The Tropical Bilimbi Fruit – From Wild Southeast Asia To Commercially Grown
- Encyclopedia Of Stone Fruit Family: Drupe 2021
👉 Fruit Recipes
- 7 Recipes Of Cantaloupe: Sweet Melon For Summer Fun
- 7 Recipes Of Honeydew Melon: Sweet Fragrant Fruit Combos For A Fresh Taste In Summer 2021
- 7 Recipes Of Chestnuts: Sweet Nutty Addition To Savoury And Sweet Dishes Alike
👉 Planting And Fruit Guides