The cherimoya, also spelled chirimoya is thought to be native to the low rising tropical forests of Central Andean Mountains in Ecuador, bordering Peru. Today cherimoya is grown throughout South Asia, South and Central America, and Southern California.
The fruit is oval, often slightly oblate, with a smooth or slightly tuberculated skin. Its flesh is white and creamy, and has numerous dark brown seeds embedded in it. Some characterize the flavor as a blend of banana, pineapple, papaya, peach, and strawberry. Others describe it as tasting like commercial bubblegum. When ripe, the skin is green and gives slightly to pressure, similar to the avocado.
Mark Twain called the cherimoya “the most delicious fruit known to men.” Many people often chill the cherimoya and eat it with a spoon, which has earned it another nickname “the ice cream fruit”.
Cherimoyas contain an impressive list of essential nutrients, vitamins, anti-oxidants and minerals. Studies have shown that cherimoya has antioxidant and cytoprotective properties that may help cure cancer cells and enhance cell survival.
In its natural habitat, cherimoya season last from November until May. Usually, the fruit is handpicked by clipping on reaching maturity. In the markets, buy fresh, firm, medium-sized, uniform fruits featuring greenish-yellow color and full for their size. Ripe fruits just yield to gentle pressure. Avoid those with broken skin, surface blemishes and overly-ripen ones as they stay poorly.
Source: www.wikipedia.org, www.nutrition-and-you.com
Image by Hans B. (from nl) available under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license
1 large ripe cherimoya
1 large ripe mango
1 cup apple juice
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon honey
1 pinch ground cinnamon
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 0 mins
Total Time: 15 mins
1. Chill all ingredients for at least an hour before preparing.
2. Peel and seed the mango and cut into pieces.
3. Put the fruit, apple juice, milk, honey and cinnamon in a blender and puree.
4. Pour into serving bowls, add garnish of choice, and serve.
Pink Cherimoya Sorbet
1 -2 cherimoya
4 blood oranges
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon raw honey
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 2 hrs
Total Time: 2 hrs 10 mins
1. Seed and puree cherimoya to yield 1 1/2 cups.
2. In a separate bowl, squeeze juice from blood oranges and lime.
3. Add citrus juice, water and honey to blender and puree until smooth.
4. Freeze for a couple of hours, then break up and blend again. Enjoy!
Find Out More About Fruits:
👉 Fruit Information
- Information About Amanatsu
- The Acorn, Oak, Acorns
- Common Astringent Berries: Origins Of Bird Cherry, Mayday Tree, European Bird Cherry
👉 Fruit Recipes
- 7 Recipes Of Concord Grapes: Juicy Fruity Addition With Nutritional Value To Your Regular Meals 2021
- 7 Recipes Of Anjou Pears
- 4 Recipes Of Plantains: A Less Sweet Alternative To Bananas 2021
👉 Planting And Fruit Guides