Perhaps the most instantly recognizable of all apples, the Granny Ramsey Smith green apple is one of the very first varieties of globally-available apples. The crisp, vibrant green apple was discovered in 1868 Australia from a chance seedling by Maria Ann Smith, for whom the fruit was named. The apple was first introduced to United Kingdom in 1935, but it didn’t make it over to America until 1972.
The Granny Smith apple has hard, light green skin and a crisp, juicy flesh, sometimes with a light pink blush. Compared to other apples, the Granny Smith is mouthwateringly tart. The apple is best eaten raw and is wonderful sliced and sprinkled on top of green salads. But the apple’s notorious tartness sweetens and subdues when it is baked or sautéed. Use Granny Smith apples for baking pies or crisps because they keep their shape well and won’t become mushy, like some other varieties do.
Apples are a great source of vitamins A, C and B and contain more riboflavin than almost any other fruit. A powerful blood purifier, apples are good for lowering blood pressure and preventing hardening of the arteries.
Sometimes called Green Delicious apples in parts of Canada, Granny Smiths are available year round. Select hard, firm apples that feel slightly heavy for their size. Avoid any apples with soft or dark spots. However, areas of brown freckling near the stem end are perfectly acceptable for Granny Smiths.
Source: www.wikipedia.org, www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov, www.health-care-clinic.org
Image by Fir002 available under GNU Free Documentation license Version 1.2
Shortcut To Great Info On This Page
Healthy Apple Walnut Muffins
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons oat bran
• 2 large eggs
• 1 cup apple juice concentrate (frozen and thawed)
• 1/3 cup buttermilk
• 2 small granny smith apples, peeled, cored, chopped
• 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
• 1 small granny smith apple, peeled, cored, cut into 12 thin slices
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
1. Preheat Oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Grease 12 standard size muffin pan cups, or use paper liners.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, salt, and oat bran.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, 1 cup plus 2 tbsp apple juice concentrate, and buttermilk.
5. Stir flour mixture into the egg mixture until dry ingredients are just moistened. Do not over mix.
6. Gently stir in chopped apples and walnuts.
7. Spoon batter into prepared pan, filling cups two thirds full.
8. Garnish each unbaked muffin with an apple slice.
9. Bake muffins until lightly golden and the tops spring back when gently pressed, about 25 minutes.
10. Transfer muffin pan to a wire rack to cool slightly, about 15 – 20 minutes.
11. Turn muffins out on rack to cool completely.
Beet, Feta and Granny Smith Apple Salad
5 -6 medium beets, about 1 1/2 lbs
1/2 small red onion, chopped
2 granny smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 shallot, minced
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
fresh ground pepper
1/3 cup scallion, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
Prep Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 1 hr 5 mins
1. Wash the beets, but do not peel.
2. Place in a very deep pot and cover with cold water until floating. Bring to a boil, cut back to a simmer and cook for about 40 minutes or until tender when pierced with a sharp knife. Note – Beets can be a bit messy and stain terribly. By using a very deep pot you won’t have as much splattering.
3. While the beets are cooking, make the salad dressing by combining the ingredients above starting with the shallot and ending with the freshly ground pepper. Shake well.
4. Chop the red onion, slice the green apple, place them in a large bowl and toss with the salad dressing and the feta cheese.
5. When beets are done, cool, peel, cut in half and then slice thinly.
6. Toss with the apples, onion and cheese mixture.
7. Garnish with the scallions and dill.
Yield: 7 salads
Curried Cranberry Chicken Salad
1 cup low-fat mayonnaise or salad dressing (plain yogurt is another possibility although I haven’t tried it)
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder (or more to taste)
4 1/2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
2 chopped apples or 2 granny smith apples
1 cup dried sweetened cranberries (Craisins)
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup chopped scallion
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
1. Combine mayonnaise, lime juice and curry powder in large mixing bowl.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Pork Loin Chops With Cinnamon Apples
1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 (4 ounce) boneless center cut pork chops (1/2-inch thick)
1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon butter
4 cups sliced peeled granny smith apples
1 tablespoon agave syrup
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 11 mins
Total Time: 31 mins
1. In a small bowl, combine the first 3 ingredients; sprinkle over pork.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated wtih cooking spray over medium heat.
3. Add in pork chops; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done.
4. Remove pork from pan; cover and keep warm.
5. Melt butter in skillet over medium heat; add apple slices and remaining ingredients; cook 5 minutes, or until tender, stirring often.
6. Serve apple mixture with pork.
Candied Apple Shake
• 1 cup granny smith apple, peeled, diced and partially frozen
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice (preferably fresh-squeezed)
• 1/2 cup apple juice or 1/2 cup apple cider
• 3/4 cup vanilla frozen yogurt (nonfat is fine)
• 2 tablespoons caramel sauce
• 2/3 cup cracked ice
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
1. Pour all ingredients into a blender.
2. Blend until smooth.
Asian-Style Chicken Salad
• 4 cups cos lettuce leaves (baby torn)
• 375 g boneless skinless chicken breasts (cooked and chopped)
• 1/2 fresh pineapple (core removed and cut into wedges)
• 2 granny smith apples (cored and sliced or 2 cups of red and or or green seedless grapes)
• 1 yellow capsicum (or red cut into thin strips, bell pepper)
• 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh)
• 1 tablespoon peanut butter
• 2 teaspoons honey
• 1 pinch chili flakes
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
1. On individual serving plates divide and stack the lettuce, chicken, pineapple, apple (or grapes) and capsicum (bell pepper).
2. In a small jug whisk the soy sauce (or tamari), lemon juice, peanut butter, honey and chilli flakes.
3. Drizzle the dressing between the 4 serves.
Grilled Apple and Swiss Cheese Sandwich
2 slices whole wheat bread
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 Granny Smith apple – peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 15 mins
Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Lightly brush one side of each slice of bread with the olive oil. Place 1 slice of bread, olive oil side down into the skillet, and arrange the apple slices evenly over the top. Sprinkle the Swiss cheese over the apple, then top with the remaining slice of bread, olive oil-side up. Cook until the bread is golden brown, then flip the sandwich over, and cook until the other side is golden brown and the cheese has melted, 1 to 2 more minutes.
Find Out More About Fruits:
👉 Fruit Information
- Common Astringent Berries: Origins Of Bird Cherry, Mayday Tree, European Bird Cherry
- Where Do Avocados Come From? Origin, Name And 5 Ways To Eat Them 2021
- How Are American Cranberries Cultivated And Harvested? Guide To Cranberry Distribution, Origin And Use 2021
👉 Fruit Recipes
- 6 Recipes Of Persimmon: Dishes From the Food Of Gods – Savoury And Sweet
- 2 Recipes Of Mangosteen: Summer Sorbet And Drinks For The Best Exotic Summer Getaway
- Maqui Berry Smoothie: Most Desirable Mixed Berry Smoothie To Enjoy 2021
👉 Planting And Fruit Guides