The lúcuma, sometimes known as lucmo, is a subtropical fruit native to the Peru’s Andean region. Lucuma has been found on ceramics at burial sites of the indigenous people of coastal Peru. It is also called “eggfruit” in English, which refers to the fruits’ dry flesh that is similar in texture to a hard-boiled egg yolk. The lucuma has particularly dry flesh which possesses a unique flavor of maple, butterscotch and sweet potato.
Lucuma has recently become popular as a dried powder flavoring, and production of fruits dried for export is increasing on a large scale. It is a popular flavoring for ice cream in its native range, and in Chile and Peru even exceeds the demand for strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla.
Lucuma is a very nutritious fruit, having high levels of carotene, vitamin B3, and other B vitamins. The round or ovoid fruits are green, with a bright yellow flesh that is often fibrous.
Lucuma has been grown successfully in subtropical foothills of California. The tree blooms and fruits all year. Mature fruits fall to the ground but they are not edible until they have been kept on hand for several days. Peruvian Indians bury them in stored grain, cured hay, chaff, dry leaves or other materials until they become soft.
Source: www.wikipedia.org, www.hort.purdue.edu
Image by David Hagerman available under Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license.
Sweet Lucuma Mousse
Juice of 1/2 tangerine
1/4 cup water (can use almond milk for a creamier mousse)
1. Blend together, serve in a passion fruit shell with some passion fruit seeds on top!
2. If you don’t have fresh lucuma, you can use lucuma powder and banana, mamee, or eggfruit.
Lucuma Ice Cream
1 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup lucuma powder
1/4 cup yacon syrup
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup filtered water
Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Put into a container and place in the freezer overnight.
Find Out More About Fruits:
👉 Fruit Information
- What Is A Culinary Fruit? List Of Tropical Exotic Fruit You Should Know About 2021
- Introduction To Types Of Tomatoes: The Tomato Species Chart 2021
- Health Benefits Of Bitter Orange, Citrus Aurantium 2021: Facts, Nutrients And Uses
👉 Fruit Recipes
- 4 Recipes Of Tamarind: Exotic Flavours From Tropical Africa 2021
- 6 Recipes Of Juniper Berry: Powerful Healthy Additions To Spice Up Your Regular Dishes 2021
- 7 Recipes Of Mango: Tangy Sweet Flavour To Take Your Dishes To The Next Level With Guide On Choosing The Best Mango 2021
👉 Planting And Fruit Guides