The mulberry tree, recognized today as superfruit with amazing health benefits, grows wild in many parts of the United States. The fruit can be black, white, red, or purple.
In times past, mulberries were believed to have great curative powers and were used as a general cure-all. Now, they are used mainly in eliminating and weight-loss diets due to the fact that mature mulberries contain significant amounts of resveratrol. Recent research has shown that resveratol has the potential to reverse aging, help control blood sugar and fight cancer.
Mulberries are also good for building the blood, and for coating the stomach in any gastric disturbance. Mulberry juice is especially good for the digestive system. The mulberry is fairly high in vitamin B. It is very soothing to the nerves because of its high phosphorus content.
You can buy mulberry plants or seeds to have your own mulberry tree. But if mulberry picking isn’t for you, you can look for fresh mulberry fruits at your local farmers market or grocery stores from May to August, when the fruit is in season.
Look for plump mulberries that feel heavy in your hands. Avoid bruised, bleeding and sunken berries. Mulberries are very delicate fruits. Make sure to use them as soon as you can. The fruit and leaves are also sold in various forms as nutritional supplements.
Image by Phil Champion available under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.
Turkish Yogurt With Sauteed Dried Fruits and Nuts
3 cups thick yogurt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup walnuts
3 tablespoons dried mulberries or 3 tablespoons sour cherries
3 tablespoons raisins
1 tablespoon hazelnuts
1 tablespoon blanched almond , coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon pine nuts
3 tablespoons tahini , at room temperature
3 tablespoons grape molasses
1 pinch cinnamon
1 tablespoon chopped pistachios
Prep Time: 2 hrs 15 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 2 hrs 30 mins
1. Spoon half of the yogurt into 6 heatproof glasses.
2. In a large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter.
3. Add the walnuts, mulberries, raisins, hazelnuts, almonds and pine nuts and sauté over moderately high heat, shaking the pan, until the butter is sizzling and beginning to brown around the edges.
4. Stir in the tahini and 2 tablespoons of the molasses.
5. Spoon the mixture into the glasses; top with the remaining yogurt.
6. Melt the remaining butter in the skillet. Stir in the remaining molasses and the cinnamon; drizzle over the yogurt.
7. Sprinkle on the pistachios and serve.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup agave syrup
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
1/4 cup skim milk
2 tablespoons applesauce
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup mulberries
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).Grease 6 jumbo muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt. In a medium bowl, mix together agave syrup, sour cream, milk, applesauce, egg and almond extract. Stir in flour mixture until batter is smooth. Fold in mulberries. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
Find Out More About Fruits:
👉 Fruit Information
- Acai Berry Smoothie
- Health Benefits Of Bitter Orange, Citrus Aurantium 2021: Facts, Nutrients And Uses
- History Of The Boysenberry Fruit: Family Of The Raspberry 2021
👉 Fruit Recipes
- 2 Recipes Of Mangosteen: Summer Sorbet And Drinks For The Best Exotic Summer Getaway
- Acai Berry Smoothie
- Ground Cherry Pie Recipe: Perfect Crusty Tangy Family Bake On The Weekends 2021
👉 Planting And Fruit Guides