The noni or morinda plant is a tropical evergreen tree that grows to about 10 feet tall in Tahiti and other Pacific Islands, as well as in parts of Asia, Australia, South America and the Caribbean. The plant bears flowers and fruits all year round. The fruit has a pungent odor when ripening, and is hence also known as cheese fruit or even vomit fruit. At first green, the fruit turns yellow then almost white as it ripens.
Despite its strong smell and bitter taste, the fruit is nevertheless eaten as a famine food and, in some Pacific islands, even a staple food, either raw or cooked. Southeast Asians and Australian Aborigines consume the fruit raw with salt or cook it with curry. The seeds are edible when roasted.
The green fruit, leaves, and root/rhizome were traditionally used in Polynesian cultures to treat menstrual cramps, bowel irregularities, diabetes, liver diseases, and urinary tract infections. Noni juice is a source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. The antioxidants may help to prevent certain diseases and help slow age-related changes in the body. Noni has been studied to reduce total cholesterol and triglycerides for those who drink the juice once a day for a month.
Because of the unpleasant smell of the noni fruit, noni products are sold in various forms including juice, extract, powder, and capsules. Make sure you buy noni products from a reputed company. However, you can also buy fresh noni fruits in local markets, wholesalers, and some retailers.
Source: www.wikipedia.org, www.cancer.org
Thai Red Curry
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
1 sweet red bell pepper, cut in strips
1 small head broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
1/4 head cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces
1 can unsweetened coconut milk
a small handful of snow peas
1 medium zucchini, cut into julienne strips
about a handful of prepared bamboo shoots, cut into strips
2-3 young, green noni fruits, cut into circular slices
1-2 carrots, cut in julienne strips
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over a medium high heat, add in Thai red curry paste, and saute for about 1 minute. The curry spices will become very fragrant.
2. Add noni, broccoli, and cauliflower and mix well to coat with curry paste.
3. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
4. Add bell pepper and stir-fry for 2 minutes more.
5. Add coconut milk and stir.
6. Bring to a boil and then turn down heat to let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Add zucchini, carrots, and bamboo shoots, and simmer for 5 minutes more.
8. Check vegetables and cook until they are your preferred texture.
9. Serve hot with steamed jasmine rice.
Noni Caesar Salad Dressing
6 tbps noni vinegar made with apple cider or Balsamic vinegar
2/3 cup olive oil
2-3 large cloves of garlic, pressed or crushed
freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
2 3-minute eggs
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 0 mins
Total Time: 10 mins
1. Combine the first four ingredients in a jar or cruet.
2. After the eggs have boiled for 3 minutes, run them under cold water, then crack with a knife over your container, allowing the yolk to run into the other liquids.
3. With a teaspoon, scoop out the partly cooked egg white in small bits and add it to ingredients in the jar.
4. Shake dressing and serve over greens.
Purple Paradise Noni Fruit Smoothie
1 cup frozen cherries
1 cup frozen mangoes
1 cup frozen blueberries
3 heaping tbsps of vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup soy milk (vanilla flavored)
3 tbsps noni juice concentrate
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 0 mins
Total Time: 5 mins
1. Place ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
2. Serve immediately.
Find Out More About Fruits:
👉 Fruit Information
- Ways To Use Almonds In Culinary Cuisines: Nutritional Information And Distribution
- Citrus Fruit
- The Apple Fruit’s Role In History And Culture 2022: Varieties And Cooking Purposes
👉 Fruit Recipes
- 7 Recipes Of Cranberries: Small Berries Salad, Juice And More 2022
- 7 Recipes Of Blueberries: Best Smoothies And Fruity Bites For Re-energising 2022
- 2 Recipes Of Pomelo: Asian Twist On The Largest Citrus Fruit – Make Your Own Plate Of Pomelo Salad 2022
👉 Planting And Fruit Guides