The largest citrus fruit in the world, the Pomelo is native to Southeast Asia. It is usually pale green to yellow when ripe, with a sweet white (or, more rarely, pink or red) flesh and very thick rind. It can grow anywhere from 6 inches to 1 feet in diameter, and usually weighs 2-5 lbs. Other spellings for pomelo include pummel, and pommelo.
The pomelo tastes like a sweet, mild grapefruit, though the typical pomelo is much larger in size than the grapefruit. It has very little, or none, of the common grapefruit’s bitterness, but the enveloping membranous material around the segments is bitter, considered inedible, and thus usually is discarded. The peel is sometimes used to make marmalade, or is candied and sometimes dipped in chocolate. The peel of the pomelo is also used in Chinese cooking.
Pomelo is an excellent source of vitamin C and contains a good amount of dietary fiber, bioflavonoids, and potassium, all of which can help improve the body’s immune system, reduce blood pressure levels, and reduce the the risk of disease.
When buying pomelo, look for firm, smooth peels. Thin peels mean there’s more fruit inside. Make sure it is heavy for its size. Avoid fruit that feels coarse or mushy or has soft spots. The fruit should have a faint, sweet fragrance at room temperature.
Image available under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license
Pomelo Fruit Platter
2 pomelo fruit , peeled
3/4 cup fresh raspberry , washed
2/3 cup roasted cashews
2 tablespoons honey (good quality!)
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves (NOT dried)
1 teaspoon lime zest , my addition (optional)
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 0 mins
Total Time: 15 mins
1. Peel the pomelos, separate the segments and cut up into 1 inch chunks.
2. Place the chunks on a pretty serving platter. Scatter the raspberries on top, followed by the cashews.
3. Slightly soften the honey by microwaving for about 10 seconds. (This helps make the honey not only easier to stir, but easier to pour.) Add the lime juice and blend well.
4. Pour the honey mixture over the fruit and nuts. Garnish with the mint leaves (and lime zest if desired).
5. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
3 tablespoons fish sauce
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon agave syrup
1 pomelo fruit
2 tablespoons coconut flakes
2 tablespoons dry roasted peanuts , coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons shallots , chopped
1 cup mint leaf , chopped
2 -3 bird chiles , finely chopped
bibb lettuce , to serve on
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
1. Mix together the fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar. (Stevia is a decent replacement.) Stir until sugar is fully dissolved. Set aside.
2. Pell the pomelo and separate into segments. Remove any peel. Place the fruit in a bowl.
3. When ready to serve, pour off any of the juice (I reserve for dressings). Add the coconut, peanuts, shallots, mint, and chiles to the fruit.Pour the dressing over and mix well. Add more lime, salt, or sugar to taste.
4. Place each serving on a leaf of lettuce.
Find Out More About Fruits:
👉 Fruit Information
- Fruits Encyclopedia, Fruits Information, Fruit Index
- Where Do Avocados Come From? Origin, Name And 5 Ways To Eat Them 2021
- Information About Physalis Fruit
👉 Fruit Recipes
- 2 Recipes Of Gooseberries: Fruity Cocktail With High Vitamin C And Salad For Fun 2021
- Ground Cherry Pie Recipe: Perfect Crusty Tangy Family Bake On The Weekends 2021
- 5 Recipes Of Figs: Healthy Food Menu Collection For Refreshing Meals To Brighten Your Day 2021
👉 Planting And Fruit Guides