The star fruit or carambola is a tropical fruit that is gaining popularity in the United States. This fruit acquired its name from the five pointed star shape when cut across the middle of the fruit. It has a waxy, golden yellow to green color skin with a complicated flavor combination that includes plums, pineapples, and lemons.
Originally from Sri Lanka and the Moluccas, and cultivated in Southeast Asia and Malaysia for several hundred years, this fruit also goes by many other names including: bilimbi, belimbing, Chinese star fruit, five-angled fruit and the star apple. Today, star fruit flourishes in south Florida and Hawaii because the fruit thrives on growing in a warm environment. Tart varieties typically have narrowly spaced ribs, while sweet varieties tend to have thick, fleshy ribs.
Carambola is rich in antioxidants and vitamin C and low in sugar, sodium, and acid. It is also a potent source of both primary and secondary polyphenolic antioxidants. A. carambola has both antioxidant and antimicrobial activities. Extracts showed antimicrobial activity against E. coli, Salmonella typhi, Staphylococcus aureus and Bacillus cereus. Star fruits are an excellent source of vitamin C, is low fat, and naturally sodium and cholesterol free.
Select firm, shiny skinned, even colored fruit. Star fruits will ripen at room temperature and have lightly brown edges on the ribs when it’s ripe. Avoid purchasing star fruit with brown, shriveled ribs. This delicious fruit is also available dried.
Source: www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov, www.wikipedia.org
Image by Meneerke bloem available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License Version 1.2
Shortcut To Great Info On This Page
Naranjita a La Hacienda
• 1 ounce puerto rican light rum
• 2 -3 ounces ginger ale
• 1 ounce orange juice
• orange slice, to garnish
• 1 small star fruit, to garnish
Prep Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 5 mins
1. Combine rum, ginger ale, and orange juice and pour over ice in highball glass, and garnish with an orange slice and mini star fruits.
Frozen Flower Bowls With Fruits
fresh edible flower
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate
1 tablespoon orange zest
fruit salad, mixtures
watermelon balls or blueberries or blackberries or strawberries or cantaloupe balls or red grapes or mangoes, chunks or mint sprig
pears or pomegranate seeds or green grapes or apples or toasted walnuts or thin iced rings red onion, dry crumbled
bananas, slices or pineapple chunks or kiwi fruits or mangoes or star fruit or kumquats or flaked coconut or chopped macadamia nuts
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 12 hrs
1. To make the bowl:.
2. Clean out a place in your freezer (good luck!). Fill a bowl part way with water; drop in a cup or so of fresh flower blossoms, herbs, berries, or leaves. Put a smaller bowl in the big bowl and fill the little bowl with ice cubes to weigh it down. Cover the whole thing with a clean dish towel and use duck tape(to keep bowls in place as water expands). Freeze overnight. Twenty minutes before serving, remove from freezer, unwrap and allow to sit at room temperature. Separate bowls and fill with chilled fruit, drizzle Orange Dressing over all and toss gently. Set ice bowl in a shallow dish and serve. Enjoy!
Combine dressing ingredients in a small saucepan; simmer; reduce to 1/2 cup. Remove from heat and chill.
Yield: about 1/2 cup.
Broiled Star Fruit in Ginger
4 cups water
1 gingerroot, peeled and cut into slices
1/2 cinnamon stick
2 whole cloves
10 coriander seeds
1 tablespoon honey
2 star fruit, trimmed
1 tablespoon brown sugar
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 1 hr
1. In saucepan, combine water, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and coriander.
2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Add honey and stir until dissolved.
4. Strain liquid and allow to cool.
5. Slice the star fruit into 8 slices.
6. Place star fruit on a baking sheet and sprinkle the brown sugar over them.
7. Broil until the sugar bubbles and starts to brown.
8. Place stars into individual bowls, 4 each.
9. Ladle the gingered broth into each and serve.
Star Fruit Salad
2 medium star fruit (sliced )
2 medium oranges (peeled and sectioned )
2 medium tangerines (peeled and sectioned )
4 medium kiwi fruits (peeled and sliced )
2 cups strawberries (sliced )
2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple slices in juice
2 cups blueberries
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 medium bananas (optional and sliced)
Prep Time: 15 mins
Save 5 slices of starfruit to put on each serving. combine all other ingredients. Chill at least 12 hours and stir just before serving. Top each serving with starfruit.
Find Out More About Fruits:
👉 Fruit Information
- The Origins Of The Arctic Brambles (Rubus Arcticus) – Flower Of Scandinavia Countries
- Everything About Buckthorn Plant, Oil, Sea Buckthorn And Growing
- 6 Medicinal And Health Benefits Of The Medlar Fruit 2021: Origins And Varieties Of A Fruit You Probably Never Heard Of
👉 Fruit Recipes
- 2 Recipes Of Pomelo: Asian Twist On The Largest Citrus Fruit – Make Your Own Plate Of Pomelo Salad 2021
- 7 Awesome Recipes Of Watermelon
- 6 Recipes Of Jackfruit: Sweet Dessert To BBQ Sandwich – Exotic Fruits To Try This Summer 2021
👉 Planting And Fruit Guides