Have you had trouble peeling your oranges? With tangerines, you will not have that problem! Known as “kid-glove oranges”, they are all loose-skinned, peeling as easily as a glove off your hand.
Tangerines have been cultivated for over 3,000 years in China. They are also grown extensively in Myanmar (Burma). Tangerines have been found in many shapes and sizes, from as small as a small walnut, to larger than an average orange. The name “tangerine” is supposed to be derived from the city of Tangier in Morocco, and includes all the red-skinned mandarin oranges.
Tangerines like oranges are a good source of vitamin C, folate and beta-carotene.They also contain some potassium, magnesium and vitamins B1, B2 and B3. The thin membrane that covers the segments contains a digestion-aiding factor, and should always be eaten.
Quality tangerines should be heavy for their size, which indicates apple juice content. They should have the characteristic deep orange or almost red color. Mature fruit usually feels puffy because of the looseness of the skin.
Source: health-care-clinic.org, www.wikipedia.org
Image by Zhangmoon618 available under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license
Shortcut To Great Info On This Page
Vietnamese Tangerine Dipping Sauce
2 garlic cloves
1 red jalapeno chile, chopped, seeded, ribs removed*
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon lime juice
4 tablespoons tangerine juice
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup nuoc mam vietnamese fish sauce
1 tablespoon mirin, sweet rice cooking wine
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 10 mins
1. Combine garlic, jalapeno, agave syrup, and the juices in the blender and liquefy. Add the vinegar, fish sauce and mirin. Blend for 5 seconds.
2. Can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator.
3. * A dried pequin pepper can be used if red jalapenos are out of season.
Tangerine Stir-Fried Beef With Onions and Snow Peas
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon agave syrup, plus 1 additional teaspoon
12 ounces flank steaks, cut into 2-inch wide strips with grain, then sliced across grain into 1/8-inch-thick slices
3/4 cup tangerine juice plus 1 teaspoon grated zest from 3 to 4 tangerine
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon cornstarch
3 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon black bean sauce
1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, halved and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
10 ounces snow peas, ends trimmed and strings removed (about 4 cups)
2 tablespoons water
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
1. Combine 2 tablespoons soy sauce and 1 teaspoon agave syrup in medium bowl. Add beef, toss well, and marinate for at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour, stirring once.
2. Sauce: Meanwhile, whisk remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, remaining tablespoon agave syrup, tangerine juice, sesame oil, and cornstarch in medium bowl.
3. Zest-Garlic Mixture: Combine tangerine zest, garlic, ginger, black bean sauce, pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in small bowl.
4. Drain beef and discard liquid. Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet or wok over high heat until just smoking. Add half of beef in single layer, breaking up clumps. Cook,without stirring, for 1 minute, then stir and cook until browned,1 to 2 minutes.
5. Transfer beef to clean bowl. Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in skillet and repeat with remaining beef. Rinse skillet and dry with paper towels.
6. Add remaining tablespoon vegetable oil to now-empty skillet and heat until just smoking.
7. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add snow peas and continue to cook until spotty brown, about 2 minutes longer. Add water and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 1 minute.
8. Push vegetables to sides of skillet; add zest-garlic mixture to clearing and cook, mashing with spatula, until fragrant, 15 to 20 seconds. Combine zest-garlic mixture with vegetables.
9. Return beef and any juices to skillet and stir to combine. Whisk sauce to recombine, then add to skillet; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 30 seconds. Serve.
Chicken Thighs in Asian Tangerine Marinade
8 chicken thighs
1/4 cup dry sherry
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 cup oyster sauce
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
1/2 tablespoon black sesame seed
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 2 hrs 45 mins
Total Time: 2 hrs 55 mins
1. Grate zest from tangerines, and squeeze juice into a bowl with zest.
2. Mix in remaining ingredients, except chicken and sesame seeds. Whisk until well blended.
3. Put thighs into a gallon zipper bag and pour marinade over thighs. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 2 hours, turning 2-3 times.
4. Preheat oven to 325°F.
5. Coat an oblong baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
6. Remove thighs from marinade and place thighs, skin side up, in baking dish. Pour marinade over thighs.
7. Bake 40 minutes, or until juices no longer run pink. Brush thighs a couple of times while baking, with pan juices.
8. Sprinkle black sesame seeds over thighs and continue baking 5 minutes.
9. Place thighs on plates and spoon sauce over them.
Tangerine Lobster Tails
1 cup unsalted butter
2 tangerines, juice of
2 tangerines, zest of
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 lobster tails, 6 to 8 ounces each
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 11 mins
Total Time: 26 mins
1. In a small saucepan over very low heat, melt the butter.
2. After the butter has melted, skim off the foam.
3. Add the tangerine zest, juice, and salt.
4. Pour about 1/2 cup of the butter mixture into a small cup; reserve the rest for the dipping sauce.
5. Using kitchen shears split each tail in half lengthwise.
6. If desired to prevent the lobster meat from curling during cooking, thread a skewer lengthwise through the center of the meat of each piece.
7. Lightly brush the exposed meat with the butter in the cup.
8. Grill the lobster tails, meat side down, over Direct Medium heat until lightly marked, 2 to 3 minutes (watch for flare-ups).
9. Turn the tails over and grill until the meat is white and firm but not dry, 5 to 8 minutes longer, brushing occasionally with some of the butter in the cup.
10. Remove from the grill and serve warm with the reserved butter on the side.
Spinach and Tangerine Salad
8 cups baby spinach
1 bunch green onion
4 seedless tangerines
1 cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon orange juice
2 teaspoons prepared mustard (I used dijon)
1/2 cup olive oil
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 15 mins
1. Tear the washed spinach into bite sized pieces. Slice the green onions. Peel and section the tangarines and cut each section in half. If you couldn’t find “seedless tangarines” this is when you pop those little seeds out.
2. Combine spinach, onions, tangarine sections and cranberries in salad bowl.
3. Combine vinaigrette ingredients, pour over salad and toss.
4. Serve immediately.
Apple Avocado Salad with Tangerine Dressing
1 (10 ounce) package baby greens
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 apple – peeled, cored and sliced
1 avocado – peeled, pitted and diced
4 mandarin oranges, juiced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt to taste
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
1. In a large bowl, toss together the baby greens, red onion, walnuts, blue cheese, and lemon zest. Mix in the apple and avocado just before serving.
2. In a container with a lid, mix the mandarin orange juice, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, olive oil, and salt. Drizzle over the salad as desired.
Awesome Tangerine-Glazed Turkey
3/4 cup unsalted butter, divided
3/4 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups tangerine juice
1 (10 pound) whole turkey, neck and giblets reserved
2 1/4 cups sausage stuffing
salt and pepper to taste
2 1/4 cups turkey stock
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Prep Time: 45 mins
Cook Time: 3 hrs 30 mins
Total Time: 4 hrs 15 mins
1. Melt 6 tablespoons butter with canola oil and tangerine juice in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat, and allow to cool about 5 minutes. Soak a piece of cheesecloth large enough to drape over the turkey in the mixture.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F ( 220 degrees C).Clean turkey, and season body cavity with salt and pepper. Loosely pack the neck cavity and body cavity with stuffing. Tie drumsticks together, spread 6 tablespoons butter over the turkey, and season with salt and pepper. Place turkey in a shallow roasting pan.
3. Roast turkey for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, and then arrange soaked cheesecloth over turkey. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F (110 degrees C). Continue roasting 1 hour. Leaving the cheesecloth draped over the turkey, baste with the tangerine juice mixture. Continue roasting about 2 hours, basting occasionally, until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the thigh reaches 180 degrees F (80 degrees C) and the stuffing inside the body cavity reaches 165 degrees F (70 degrees C). Discard cheesecloth, and place turkey on a serving platter. Allow turkey to cool about 25 minutes before carving.
4. Skim fat from pan juices, and reserve 1/4 cup fat and skimmed pan juices. In the baking pan, mix pan juices with 1 cup turkey stock; cook over high heat, stirring to scrape the bottom of the pan.
5. In a saucepan over low heat, whisk together reserved 1/4 cup fat and flour until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in pan juices and remaining turkey stock, and add neck and giblets. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until giblets are cooked through. Strain through a sieve, and serve with the turkey and stuffing.
Find Out More About Fruits:
👉 Fruit Information
- The Apple Fruit’s Role In History And Culture 2021: Varieties And Cooking Purposes
- 6 Medicinal And Health Benefits Of The Medlar Fruit 2021: Origins And Varieties Of A Fruit You Probably Never Heard Of
- Health Benefits Of Bitter Orange, Citrus Aurantium 2021: Facts, Nutrients And Uses
👉 Fruit Recipes
- 7 Recipes Of Quince: Mix And Match This Turkish Delights Rich In Iron, Fibre And Vitamins 2021
- 7 Recipes Of Mulberries: Sweet Refreshing Treat Served Both Hot And Cold 2021
- 7 Recipes Of Avocados: Mix And Match This Versatile Fruit – Authentic Mexican Touch To Super Food Breakfast 2021
👉 Planting And Fruit Guides