The Babaco is a hybrid cultivar in the genus Vasconcellea from Ecuador. It is a hybrid fruit between Vasconcellea cundinamarcensis, and Vasconcellea stipulata.
Growth of Babao Fruit
It can grow at high altitudes (over 2,000 m) and is the most cold-tolerant plant in the genus Vasconcellea. The babaco is classified as a herbaceous shrub-like Carica papaya (pawpaw or papaya) but unlike papaya, it produces only female flowers. The babaco plant can produce from 30-60 fruits annually and has an average life span of about eight years. The small plant makes a good container specimen and it is better suited than its cousin the papaya which needs constant moisture and high temperatures to survive
It is a small unbranched or sparsely branched tree reaching 58 m tall. The fruit differs from the related papaya in being narrower, typically less than 10 cm in diameter. The babaco fruit is seedless and the smooth skin can be eaten and is said to have a taste of strawberry, papaya, kiwi, and pineapple. The fruit is pentagonal in shape, therefore giving it the scientific name of Carica pentagona. The fruit is not especially acidic but contains papain, a proteolytic enzyme, which may cause mild irritation or “burns”.
Like the papaya, the babaco is grown for its edible fruit and for its fruit juice. Cultivation away from its native range has been successful as far south as New Zealand, in California, some regions of England, and north to Guernsey, Channel Islands, and somewhat also in Italy.
The Babaco is an attractive torpedo shaped fruit which has an effervescent flesh hence its other name the champagne fruit.
Find Out More About Fruits:
👉 Fruit Information
- The Apple Fruit’s Role In History And Culture 2021: Varieties And Cooking Purposes
- Encyclopedia Of Stone Fruit Family: Drupe 2021
- Incredible Health Benefits And Therapeutic Uses Of Bergamot Citrus Oil 2021: Know Its Origin and Distribution
👉 Fruit Recipes
- 7 Recipes Of Apricots: Sweet Precious Summer Fruit For A Nice Dinner Surprise 2021
- 4 Recipes Of Coconut Water: Drinking And Dessert For Sweet Tooth 2021
- 2 Recipes Of Goji Berries: Chinese Anti-oxidant Healing Berry For Healthy Power Benefits 2021
👉 Planting And Fruit Guides