The winter melon is a vine that is grown for its very large fruit, which is eaten as a vegetable when it is mature. Other names for this fruit include white gourd, ash gourd, “fuzzy gourd,” and “fuzzy melon.” When it is young, the fruit has a fuzzy texture, and when it is ripe, it has thick, white flesh that is sweet. At maturity, the fruit loses its hairs and develops a waxy coating, both of which contribute to the fruit’s long shelf life and give rise to the name wax gourd. The size of the melon could reach up to three feet. The fully matured crop does not have a pleasant taste.
The winter melon was first cultivated in Southeast Asia, but it is now also grown in large quantities in both East Asia and South Asia.
The vitamin C content, the vitamin B3 content, and the potassium content of winter melons are all above average, and the vitamin B1 content of winter melons is exceptional. They are also free of fat and cholesterol, in addition to having a high water content and a relatively low calorie count.
The winter melon provides us with a high-quality source of distilled water that is packed to the brim with the purest mineral components imaginable. Take into consideration the winter melon if you want to re-energize and alkalize your body. In addition to these benefits, it also helps treat respiratory disorders and is beneficial to the brain.
Pick a mature winter melon that is full-sized and has a hard rind that is free of any blemishes. You should steer clear of fruits that are cracked, have soft spots, or have dark bruises. Examine the break at the stem to ensure that it is clean and unbroken. The winter melon has an average shelf life of one year when stored properly. The best places to find wintermelons of exceptional quality are in Asian markets.
The following websites were used as sources: www.healthcareclinic.org, www.wikipedia.org, and www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov
Image created by Deepugn and made available under a Creative Commons license that permits attribution along with the right to share the image.
Shortcut To Great Info On This Page
Winter melon soup
2 cups winter melon , cut in 1 1/2-inch pieces
3 cups chicken broth
4 dried Chinese black mushrooms , soaked in hot water for 20 minutes and diced without stems
2 -3 slices ginger
¼ cup cooked ham , diced
salt and pepper
spring onion (for garnish)
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
1. Clean winter melon.
2. Add all ingredients to pot and simmer for about 20 min, until melon is tender.
3. Season to taste.
4. Garnish and serve hot.
Winter Melon Soup With Barley and Goji Berries
500 g winter melon
½ cup barley (coix seeds)
150 g pork ribs
1 tablespoon goji berry
2 slices ginger
1000 ml water
Prep Time: 3 hrs
Cook Time: 2 hrs
Total Time: 5 hrs
1. Wash the barley and soak for about 1 hour.
2. Wash goji and soak for 20 minutes.
3. Parboil the pork ribs with the ginger, trim off any excess fats.
4. Cut and clean the melon.
5. Bring the 1000ml water to the boil, add the pork ribs, melon pieces, barley and the goji.
6. Bring the water and ingredients back to the boil, then lower to a simmer.
7. Simmer for 1 hour.
8. Turn off heat and cover pot and let soup stand for 10 minutes.
Winter Melon Meatball Soup
1 pound ground pork
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 bunch cilantro leaves, finely chopped
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons agave syrup
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
6 cups water
2 pounds Chinese winter melon (dong gua), cut into 1 inch cubes
3 slices fresh ginger
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon agave syrup
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
1. Sprinkle pork with cornstarch, cilantro, soy sauce, agave syrup, garlic, and ginger. Mix eggs into pork until completely incorporated and the mixture becomes sticky.
2. Combine water, winter melon, ginger, salt, and agave syrup in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, form 1 teaspoon-sized meatballs out of the pork mixture. Gently drop meatballs into simmering soup; simmer 8 to 10 minutes more until meatballs have cooked.
🥰 These are some best tools on garden owners’ wishlist, maybe you need them too? Click images & check them out! 🌺
🥰 Lightweight & comfortable handles made of aluminum. It has everything a new gardener needs to get started! Click the video to see the set on Amazon.
🥰 Super powerful blender that you can just toss in a carrot cut in half and it will work perfectly fine! Check out the reviews to avoid returning.
🥰 Large Vegetable & Fruit storage stand for assembling your food. Check out reviews to see how others use this product.
🥰 Good quality garden tools and a water-resistant bag to gift the gardener in your life! Check out the reviews now to make your decision.
🥰 This cute vintage green smoothie blender comes with 2 cup containers. Also only ONE click to use it!
🥰 Pretty and large lattice patterned basket made of thick metal. This solved my problem and added some style to our kitchen! See if this beautiful fruit basket will help you too?
🥰 Perfect set of sturdy tools and bag for the heavy-duty gardening task! I bought these for myself and I love them so much! Long-lasting and very well made. I’d highly recommend checking out the reviews before purchasing.
🥰 High quality and durable portable plastic bottle with strong blending power crushing ice and frozen fruit easily. Click on their reviews to see what you think.
🥰 2-Tier Basket Stand you can label your fruits on the chalkboard. Click the link to see it on Amazon.
Find Out More About Fruits:
👉 Fruit Information
- Blackcurrant Berries: Nutrients, History, Uses, & Cultivation 2022
- Common Astringent Berries: Origins and Characteristics of Bird Cherry
- Best Ways to Eat Almonds: Uses, Nutritional Value, & Cultivation 2022
👉 Fruit Recipes
- Citrons | Definition, History 2022
- Elderberry Juice Effects: Maintaining Health With Natural Chemicals 2022
- 2 Goji Berries Recipes: Chinese Anti-Oxidant to Boost Your Health 2022
👉 Planting And Fruit Guides
- Best Food Dehydrator Review: Noisiness, Price Information (2022)
- 7 Healthy Cantaloupe Recipes: Sherbet & Salad for Sweetest Summer!
- Health Benefits of Bitter Orange: Nutrition Facts & Uses 2022
- Amazon Prime Day 2022: What to Stock Up for Kitchenwares – Best Deals
- Amazon Black Friday Sales: Kitchenware Deals for Happy Holiday 2022
- How to Select Tomato Seeds: Guide According to Your Ideal Taste 2022
- 5 Pomegranate Recipes: Cutting Tips for Healthy Mediterranean Fruit 2022
- 4 Best Star Fruit Recipes: Adding Tropical Sunshine to Your Plate 2022
- 2 Easy Gooseberries Recipes: Fruity Cocktail and Salad 2022